Monday, August 28, 2006

Blistex: Herbal Answer

The first thing I wondered when I saw Blistex's new "Herbal Answer" lip balm was, what exactly is the herbal question? I suppose this stick is Blistex's response to growing requests from consumers for healthier, more organic products. To that end, Blistex has done a decent job of creating an "herbal alternative" to its own petroleum-based lip balms for all those hippies out there, but it's still petroleum based and contains several preservatives. It can't quite hold up to other brands (Eco Lips, for one) that have done a better job being wholly organic and preservative-free.

Price: $1.99. The way it oughta be.

Glide: Smooth, consistent, practically perfect.

Appearance: Herbal Answer comes in either a stick or a tube. I realize we've been using these terms interchangeably on Chaptastic (and will likely continue to do so), but in this case the tube I'm referring to is of the squishy, mini toothpaste variety. The stick (the only one I tried) is standard size and has a pastel lime green color that resembles Blistex's Melon Medly Fruit Smoothie balm to a tee.

Flavor/Smell The stick has a subtle, non-cloying sweet taste and a vaguely tea-like, almost fruity flavor. I don't mind the sweetness, but it makes me lick my lips more often. The smell is nice: chamomile, a bit of lemon...actually, it smells a bit like Sprite.

Lasting Power: Pretty good. It absorbs well and fades away slowly.

Product Plusses: SPF 15, happy ingredients (aloe, avocado, chamomile, shea butter, jojoba).

But if you're going to tout your use of natural ingredients, why still use 43% petroleum and lots of preservatives like paraben? That's like adding a carrot stick to an order of french fries. This is just your basic mass-produced lip balm with a few drops of things you can pronounce in it. Oh, Blistex. You were so close. Still, it's a good, reliable stick with a pretty scent and lasting power, and at the very least you can pretend that it's good for you.

3.5 out of 5.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, that's not new at all, it's been around for years (not in a squeeze tube though)! Unless they took it off the market and re-released it... I was using it when I was like 10. The scent always made me queasy though, just not my thing :/

I agree with you, if you want natural lip balm just go for Kiss My Face or many of the other great brands that really are organic and use quality ingredients, they're much more worth spending money on IMO!

9:40 PM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

Good to know. I guess it was just new to me. I probably could have, you know, looked that up or something.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I've got this stuff in what you referred to as the 'toothpaste' tube variety.. and it's fun to put on, but the taste is a little too sickeningly sweet for my liking.

6:46 PM  
Blogger the intern said...

Herbal Answer is not going to be available anymore, at least in Seattle. All drug stores are saying it's discontinued. Bummer.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one in the squeezy tube has been my fave for years. I have one in my purse, one in my drawer at work, one beside my bed... Need I say more?

If anyone has found something comparable in texture I would appreciate knowing what it is. I like the soft smell too.

Thanks!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home