Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ask Chaptastic: Winter Schtick

Hey ladies,

So it's about that time, winter is setting fast about my soon-to-be chapped lips. I'm a self-admitted lip-tint freak, and usually I have one tube of chapstick with me at all times, though I've been carrying this tube of Medicated Cherry Blistex around for close to two years now. I know I know!

I am looking for a new tube...preferrably one that taste nice and makes my pucker smooth and sexy. Oh yeah, I'm on a strict budget so a $12 stick just won't fly. And I'm vegan which means cruelty-free, (is there any other way?)

Any advice would be so nice!

SLT



Dear SLT,

Wow. Medicated Cherry Blistex. Two years. That combination just doesn't sound right. You came to us just in time, SLT. Winter is about to bitch slap us all, but at least we can protect our lips and look great while doing it.

We've written about a few sticks that will fulfill your criteria (cheap yet awesome), although not all of them offer color/tinted versions. As we continue to state, ad nauseum, we're huge fans of all natural ingredients, so while your basic ChapstickĀ® Lip Moisturizer or Carmex are inexpensive and ubiquitous, it's worth it to go the extra mile to get something that goes above and beyond.

Three brands that come to mind that are natural, vegan-friendly and offer tinted varieties are Alba Naturals, Juice Beauty and Kiss My Face. They all work well, leave your lips with a great sheen, and are economical, which means you can buy them in bulk with little to no guilt.

I've also heard good things about Brown Shuga, a brand I have yet to try personally but am dying to. If I were you, I'd also do some searching on Etsy, the online marketplace for crafty goods. There are a slew of wonderful, natural, handmade lip balms like Heather Joy's.

If you can live without the tint, I'd highly recommend Crazy Rumors. The brand has a variety of truly tasty flavors made from all-natural, vegan-friendly ingredients. For those of you with more flexibility, add to this list any Labello (cruetly-free not guaranteed) you can get your hands on and any Canus Goat's Milk stick (definitely not vegan).

UPDATE: We didn't mean to imply that Chapstick and Carmex are vegan, just that they're cheap. But you're right, savvy commenters- not all the Alba balms are vegan (although they are cruelty-free) so read those ingredients carefully!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chapstick Lip Moisturizer isn't vegan. It contains lanolin, which is derived from dead sheep. And don't think Carmex is vegan either.

Eco Lips Bee Free is a great vegan lip balm for about 3 bucks. (The rest of their balms have beeswax.)

3:18 PM  
Blogger chrisseyconnection said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blistex Medicated Berry is really good, plus it heals chapped lips really well! Its not very expensive either, but i dont know if its vegan or not,

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nivea's Aloe Vera stick is lovely. No goop or shine just natural but totally protecting and soothing.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alba Naturals has lanolin in their cherry balm. Lanolin is not vegan.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home