Thursday, September 13, 2007

Get REAL Peaches Lip Balm

Ages ago we wrote about the company BlueQ in a SWBD post. BlueQ is the maker of retro-ironic-sassy products such as Dirty Girl shampoo, Looking Good for Jesus compact mirror and Virgin/Slut soaps (your pick, I guess). They also have a long list of quirkily-named lip balms, although some of our readers relayed to us that the packaging was better than the product. Recently I caught site of their new (to me, anyway) body care product line called Get REAL. The motto of the brand is "No fake crap", or more brilliantly, "Never keep a stiff upper lip"- both are written on their bright and cheerful tubes.

Cost: $2.99 at Whole Foods sans the cardboard and plastic packaging, $4.95 elsewhere with all the trappings.

Appearance: Adorable, of course. Who doesn't love 50s styling and font? There's lots of little messages to find on the label and the "BlueQ Food & Produce Company" stamp almost makes me feel like I bought it at a fruit stand.

Glide: Not bad. Not great, either. It takes a bit of effort to get it going, but it doesn't coat too thickly or have a sticky texture. Somewhere in the unremarkable middle of the pack in terms of good or bad.

Flavor/Smell: "Move into the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches." Remember that song? I always think of it when I eat peaches. There's something very soothing to me about a peach, and luckily this lib balm gets the scent down rather well. It's present without being overwhelming, and the balm has a pleasant, subtle sweetness that's almost unnoticeable. Note: it may smell a bit too waxy on the first go. Other flavors are Mint and and Lemons.

Lasting Power: Definitely at least an hour, and that was even after applying while extremely chapped followed by eating a giant apple. Quickly moistens and protects.

Product Pluses: As the brand claims, it's 100% flavored and formulated with no added color or fragrance and it's cruelty free. Ingredients include shea butter, coconut and olive oils, Vitamin E and licorice sweetener. Yum.

I'd give this a solid 4 out of 5 tubes. I want just a bit more performance for all the eye-catching presentation. But it's definitely fun to have around.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike Czyzewski said...

you're back. yah!

4:12 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

welcome back!!!!

11:05 AM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

Aww, thanks guys!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I thought you were dead! Welcome back!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Beauty Chick said...

I'm tagging you over at Beauty Hatchery!

What does it mean to be tagged? This is a blogging game where people who are tagged need to post 7 random facts/habits about themselves. They explain the rules and then tag 7 others and list their names on their blog. They're also asked to leave a comment for each of the tagged, letting them know they have been tagged and to read the blog. Happy tagging!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Jen Hill said...

Your site is so fun! Have you heard of "Chicken Poop" lip balm? If you haven't you must! My post is on "Sarah Loves Chicken Poop." And it talks all about this great lip balm!

11:37 PM  
Blogger ashlee said...

I found a stick of this in a hole-in-the-wall book store in D.C. It was my favorite stick of balm until I accidentally left it in my car and it melted all over. I love the smell and the texture of the tube. Quite lovely!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home