Thursday, May 01, 2008

Guest Post! Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula

Here's another stick we've heard a lot about and seen over and over again in stores (especially Bed Bath & Beyond for some reason) but have yet to try. Below, our fearless guest poster Becky does the dirty work for us. Andale, Becky!

When I first stumbled upon Chaptastic (and I’m wicked stoked that I did), I couldn’t believe there was no mention of Palmer’s fine products (our bad- Ed.). It’s been a well-kept secret, but I intend to change that. Palmer’s is my favorite lip balm. I have used it for about 5 years and haven’t bought any other kind since.

Price: $3.29 on drugstore.com and $2.70 on Palmer’s website. Or, you can save yourself the S&H and buy it at your local Walmart for $1.83. Considering it will last a good few months, I don’t think upwards of $5 would be too much to ask.

Appearance: Mostly white, swirly blue background interspersed with orange and brown. 3 ¾ inches high, ½ ounce size.

Glide: In the beginning, this lip balm applies itself grudgingly. After the first few applications, however, this cocoa butter stick goes on like, well, butter.

Flavor/Smell: I haven’t quite decided what it smells like yet— I alternate between vanilla and marshmallows. Whatever it is, it’s subtle, not overpowering. Flavor— hardly any.

Lasting Power: If you’re a compulsive balm applier like me, you’re reapplying every couple hours whether you need it or not. For the practical person, you could easily go 3 hours, depending on how much you’re talking, pursing your lips, and smacking. It definitely hydrates well. Some balms, like Burt’s Bees, actually dry my lips out more. Not this one.

Product Pluses: It’s not just for lips, but also advertises “on-the-spot moisture for marks and rough, dry skin.” When a particularly nasty cold has my nose red, dry, and tender, I put some of this cocoa butter on for instant, soothing relief.

Lastly, I have never lost this gigantic stick. Balms that are only .15 or .07 ounces in size are easily lost in a purse or forgotten in a pocket. It’s the best lip balm I’ve ever tried, so I’m tempted to give it a 5, but I know there might be something better out there, so I’ll stick with 4.5 out of 5 tubes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Burt's Bees lip balms are drying too!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!

I swear on this product as one of the top lip balms out there, I've been using this ever since I got introduced by this girl from high school who has been using the swivel stick and it intrigued me because of the size of the tube.

It's a very unisex product and I can't say much about it. It's worth trying out yourself.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Gorse said...

I got some of this a couple of days back after the good rep it got here.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

The smell and glide is wonderful, but after a couple of minutes, it left my lips and tongue (near lips) feeling like the horrible after-feeling of being scalded by tea while drinking it, or simply like something very abrasive had been rubbing my lips sore.

I don't know if the formula is different over in the UK, but I sure as hell won't be buying it again.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to point out that the product on your blog isn't exactly Palmer's lip balm. Palmer's makes a separate product which is specifically a lip balm (SPF 15) but I think the swivel stick is more for general use? (btw, the SPF 15 lip balm is awesome :)

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, yes, I love this stuff. It is the ONLY lip balm I have ever used all of (well, besides Bare Escentual's Soy Latte one...)

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really isnt that good, breaks sometimes as you apply and doesnt last too long
3.4 outta 5 sticks from me

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home