Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Body Shop: Hemp & Vitamin C

I think The Body Shop is becoming as ubiquitous as Starbucks. I'm constantly passing those stores and being assaulted by the powerfully pungent fruity scents that violently escape from their swinging doors. Seriously, walking into one of those shops is like walking into a Perfumania- I can't smell anything for an hour afterward. Nevertheless, I was enticed by the neat, color coded shelves which included displays of lip balm, and for you, intrepid reader, I braved the olfactory onslaught.

The Body Shop has about twenty different lip products in both tube and pot form. The Lip Care tubes are more purpose-oriented, like Vitamin E with SPF, whereas the little tubs range are purely balms in flavors like Golden Apple and Satsuma. I sampled the latter and found them a bit too gooey and fruity and sweet (geez, how many dozens of people had stuck their fingers into that pot of lip balm before I did?..ew), so I grabbed a Vitamin C and a Hemp stick and left before I was tempted to buy guava-infused foot oil.

Price: $5.00 a tube. I guess that's the price you pay for the Body Shop logo. Swanky!

Glide: Rather good. Smooth, non-oily, comfortable.

Appearance: Pretty standard. Each has a really long, detailed label that's been curled the tube around several times so you can unfurl it to read all the ingredients in several languages.

Flavor/Smell: The Vitamin C stick smells just like a fresh-peeled orange. Delightful. It's even the tiniest bit sweet, but not in an obtrusive way. The Hemp stick smells like...well, like something you left at the bottom of a bowl. You know the kind of bowl I'm talking about. If you don't, then maybe you never went to college. It doesn't taste much like anything (thank God), but if you're not into "earthy" smells then it's not for you.

Lasting Power: Excellent. The balm absorbs well and leaves the lips feeling moisturized and insulated from the cold. I can see using the Vitamin C one a lot in the winter to fend off winds and to boost the old immune system.

Product Plusses: Non-petroleum, Vitamin C has SPF 15, Hemp has a certain level of kitsch value. Ingredients (not including active SPF ingredients) are mostly all natural and include a coconut/olive oil + beeswax base and natural flavors and fragrances.

Not bad, The Body Shop, not bad. 4.5 out of 5 tubes.


*Update: I forgot to add that The Body Shop has a special vanilla mint Speak Out Lip Care Stick. One dollar from every sale goes to the National Domestic Violence hotline, the phone number of which is on the label of every stick. Great cause. There's also a section on the information parts of the lip balm pages about how the beeswax and olive oil ingredients help the communities and local environments of the countries from which they're derived.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a noticable difference between the hemp stick and the vitamin C stick in the winter time--the only time my lips are dry enough to test such a thing. I've been using both of these sticks for years. The hemp is the chess queen--the one you want. No matter how dry your lips get, it can fix them--and it lasts a long time!

The vitamin C is more for normal times. When I lived in Florida, I never knew there was a difference--we have about a week of winter there. But since moving north I have discovered why keeping hemp stick in the pocket is a must.

BTW, I do own every lip balm Body Shop makes--must have be brain-washed by the paralyzing smell and do what I can to exit quickly. I'd imagine all my little balm pots are filled with germs at home...but I don't mind since they're my germs....my own lip balm petri dishes.

I adore your reviews--always thorough and wise enough to be trusted and admired. The only bad thing about this website is I'm spending about fifty bucks more a month on lip balm because you have balms I'd never heard of before and I simply must try them--especially when the review is favorable. Oh, who am I kidding--I'll try anything once--I'm a product whore.

So when will the contest results come out? I'm excited to see what the pics look like--and to see what they've won. Will you post all the entries or just the winners? I know...patience, patience. Take care.

2:39 PM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

Ooo, really. Good to know! I wish the Vitamin C were as effective as the Hemp because I so prefer the flavor/smell of the Vitamin C to the Hemp. I guess the Hemp wins the coveted winter jacket pocket spot.

You gave me an idea for a new product: Petri Dish Lip Balm.

Probably the only thing worse than being inspired to buy more lip balm by reading this blog is having to buy more lip balm to write this blog. It's getting out of hand...

The contest results will be out tomorrow! We'll probably post all the entries.

Thanks for your awesome comment!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hemp stick is the best one I have ever used. The other good one I like from the body shop is the cocoa butter one.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah, this horrible "I wanna an hemp-something product" thing...please.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lip balm, for the Speak Out Lip Care Stick, actually gives $2 to the National Domestic Violence hotline for every lip balm sold.

8:46 AM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

That's awesome!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog!! Yesterday I bought a Alacer Emer'Gen-C Strawberry For Adults from Vitamin shoppe store on Couponalbum.com & saved 55%..!!

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home