Thursday, January 17, 2008

Guest Post! Aquafina Hydrating Lip Oil

Oh, guest posts. How I've missed you. We've got a backlog of these, so look out for a bunch of reviews from your fellow readers. Today's poster is MALE, fancy that. He's the mythically-aliased Pyramus, who'll be giving his review through a chink in the wall:

I am a guy who is a hopeless lip-glop addict; I have them in every room in the house, in every knapsack and coat pocket; if I accidentally leave the house without one, I have to buy one to have with me. I go through a lot of lip glop, and when I see an interesting one that 1) looks as if it might work well and 2) isn't girly, I can easily be convinced to give it a shot, since I'm always afraid they'll discontinue whatever one I happen to be using at the time. Last week I found a couple of Pepsi-branded oddities at a local dollar store and bought one of each (Ed. note: the second review will be posted shortly).

Price: $1.00 at the Dollarama, which is a chain of Canadian dollar stores. If they have them at a dollar store in a small Canadian city on the east coast, they must have them in a whole lot of other places, too, unless this is really the end of the line, where discontinued and presumably crappy products come to die (which wouldn't surprise me).

Appearance: Shiny. The packaging is printed on shiny silver-and-blue cardboard, the cap of the tube is a pearlized water blue, and the squeeze tube itself is gleaming blue plastic. The applicator is a slanted plastic thing with a big hole in it- probably my least favourite way to apply lip glop.

Glide: Like Teflon. The product is extremely slick and shiny, and the applicator practically slides right off your lips, leaving a thick, heavy coating of shine, as if you'd had your mouth upholstered with patent leather. (It's hard to control the amount you apply, since this is a thick liquid in a very supple, easily squeezed tube; the texture is like Blistex Lip Infusion only much, much thicker.) If you put on a tiny dab with a fingertip and circle your mouth with it, the shine is reduced to almost nothing, and the slickness is minimized, but even so, this is a very slidey, glidey product. I should have read the package: "maximum hydration and shine", it promises, and I don't know about the hydration, necessarily, but the shine? Maximum.

Flavour/Smell: Sugared Vicks Vap-O-Rub. It's described on the package back as a "clean, deliciously crisp flavour experience", so I guess that given the brand name (Aquafina is a bottled water marketed by PepsiCo), I was expecting "fresh mountain spring water", but it's really "overdose of menthol", which makes your lips tingle (and burn a little) soon after you apply it, and they don't stop tingling for a long time, either. Some people love this tingly mintiness; not me, though I can put up with it if I have to. But why would a product boast "calming botanicals" if it also contains enough menthol to make you think your lips are swelling up? They don't feel very calm!

Lasting Power:
A while, if you don't lick your lips, which you probably will, because the product is pleasantly sweet, even though there are no sweeteners of any sort listed on the package.

Product Pluses/Minuses: Pluses- inexpensive. Strongly mentholated, if you like that kind of thing. Unbelievably shiny, if you like that kind of thing. Slightly scary name. Minuses- unbelievably shiny. Hard-to-control applicator.

Rating: 3 out of 5 tubes. Too menthol-y, too shiny.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"giving his review through a chink in the wall"

DIRTY!

2:05 PM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

You're the dirty one! There's already a really offensive connotation to that phrase, but I hadn't thought of that one.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hey nice review man..It is nice to see a guy reviewing some lip-glop because I to do not like it when the stuff is to shiny and such..Keep up the good work

Keith

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had this Aquafina until I realized it was made in China. The company might be Cleveland Oh but they make it in China. I will not use this product ever again. There is to many things going on from there hurting our society. Please stop using this! Use softlips or Lypsyl lip balm they are noth made in NY!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

I personally like Aquafina Hydrating Lip Oil. I usually squeeze out a drop and release and the tube sucks back in most of the gloss. That way i don't apply too much, and it's really nice if you're looking for a lip gloss that lasts a good hour or so. It's a pretty girly product though, i wouldn't advise guys to get it unless they're into the whole super-shiny-lip-gloss thing.

5:38 PM  
Blogger SpacieTracie said...

I LOVE THIS LIP OIL!

I didn't find the menthol that strong...I mean compared to that Burts Bees crap!

I like oil vs waxy lip stuff because it feels like its really penetrating my lips and not just sitting on top!

The consistency is PERFECTION. If you can find it, give it a try for sure!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This stuff is the bombdiggity. I can't find it anywhere anymore and I'm soooooo sad. Itz the best lip stuff on earth.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not seen this product in stores, but if you visit aquafinaskincare.com, you can order a big variety pack.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home