Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Guest Post! Burt's Bees Tin

We have a strong Canadian following here on Chaptastic, possibly owing to the fact that our northern brothers and sisters posses an inborn affinity for lip balm, given the weather. We welcome this guest post from our Canadian correspondent, Victoria. Mush, Victoria!

Living in Canada can be very hard on the skin, especially the lips. I've tried Blistex, Polysporin, Carmex and a terrifying amount of cheap store brand chap sticks. Also, being environmentally friendly (who isn't theses days), I wanted to find one without the dreaded petroleum jelly. I found it the holy grail of all lip balms - Burt's Bees.

Price: $4.99 CAD at Shopper's Drug Mart (can be purchased at Drugstore.com for $2.99 USD)

Appearance: Comes in a little orange tin with a bee printed on. Not too feminine, so guys can carry this lip balm around with them. Its nice and flat; I keep this in my jeans and the tube version in my bag.

Glide: Wonderful. I store this in my pocket so it's warm and creamy, but when cold it can be a little hard to apply. Although it's in a tin I put my lips directly up to the tin to apply, a move that garners weird looks on the subway but is well worth it.

Flavor/Smell: The smell is peppermint, thanks to the peppermint oil in the balm. I personally love this, but other with sensitive skin and/or noses may find it irritating. The best feature of this product is the flavor - none. This minimizes the desire to lick off the balm.

Lasting Power: Hours. I can put this on and go about my day. Its waterproof, so you can feel free to drink away (I sometimes lick my lips, but with this the balm stays intact). I put it on before I step outside, and it's great for "winter proofing" your lips.

Product Pluses: Environmentally friendly packaging, printed on recycled paper. 95.29% natural. Not tested on animals. Social responsibility- the company partnered with Habitat for Humanity to build the first affordable green housing.

4 out of 5 tubes. Wonderful product but hard glide if cold, also no SPF.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't like Burt's Bees!! Everyone is constantly raving about this balm being their Holy Grail-- but maybe it's just me, but I find that the balm makes my lips feel dry and waxy :(

7:30 PM  
Blogger AV said...

Burt's Bees lip balm dries my lips out. I think it's the menthol - I like minty smells, but menthol usually dries out my lips.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Susanne said...

A fellow Canadian, I, too, adore Burt's Bees lip balm and have come to rely on it for many years.

While I prefer the tube for hands off application, I eschew the excess packaging for the longer-lasting pot and apply in exactly the same manner as you do!

I'm wondering how people feel about the Chlorox buy out? (Over a year ago, already, where does the time go?)

I tend to stock up when the product goes on sale, and with the pots lasting so long, I have not yet had to purchase a new pot since the buy out. But my supply is dwindling and I don't relish the thought of supporting Chlorox.

Quite a quandary...

10:06 AM  
Anonymous healing lip balm said...

Peppermint and menthol irritates the lips and creates a lip balm addiction. I write about it all the time. It's why people feel addicted to lip balm - peppermint and menthol smell great and feel soothing, but they're not. You'll get a much better, and less addictive, result from a more Healing Lip Balm that doesn't contain peppermint.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Faye Prettyhead said...

I LOVE BURT'S BEES!!!!!!!!!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like Burts Bees. Their products are always too waxy for my taste. They don't smooth out like I want. The only lip balm I have ever loved was Savannah Bee's 100% natural lip balm(no flavor) in a tin. It was perfect. I'm so upset they no longer manufacture it anymore.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As aisha said, Burt's Bees doesn't do much for my chapped lips, and the waxy texture is a bit much for me.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home