Thursday, November 02, 2006

Canus: Goat's Milk Lip Balm

Goats don't always get the recognition they deserve. I think it's because they're small and could be easily beaten by small children (mind the horns). We tend to respect animals that are large and fierce and yet we can ride, like horses and dinosaurs. The goat is often relegated to the petting zoo and bestiality jokes, although like anything that exists there is a small but dedicated advocacy for them. In any case, they should be better regarded because they produce delicious, nutritious milk that is sorely underused in both our diets and our bath and body products. But Canus is a company that's out to change that, and they've created an entire line of wholesome (look at that family on the site!) skin care products made with goat's milk. Guess which I'll be reviewing.

Price: $2.29 on Drugstore.com.

Glide: More oily than creamy, but still a smooth ride. Just like last night.

Appearance: Standard stick with a tan and maroon color scheme. Cute goat, lots of information in both English and French.

Flavor/Smell: Minty McMintsalot. Very unexpected...although what was I expecting- the smell of goat? Maybe something more milky. I own a lot of mint sticks, and I think the scent of this one is the most natural and pleasant I've encountered yet, possibly because it contains spearmint and rosemary. The smell and the flavor is not overwhelming and there's no sweetness. Something about it being mint makes it a bit boring. The goat milk thing built it up too much in my head.

Lasting Power: Bonkers! This stuff lasts all freakin' day. I used it a total of TWO times all day yesterday. Goats must have amazing lips (I will research...physically). In addition to the goat's milk, the stick contains organic olive oil, beeswax, soybean oil, hempseed oil, calendula and St. John's Wort. So maybe it's not all goat.

Product Plusses: All natural, petroleum-free, French, available with SPF-15.

A cheap, superb stick that wins a place in my winter coat. 4.75 out of 5 tubes

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation -- I'm with you, this stuff is awesome.

Lucie

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like the scent, nor did it last as long as you indicated. I will stick with Carmex - better all around performance for me. Carmex lives up to what it promises to do. Sometimes the tried and true is best.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know - I think you are a tad off with such a high recommendation. I would use chicken poop (hehehe) before this goat's milk stuff.

thanks for doing this stuff

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried since you gave such a high rating, I think I have to disagree with you on this one too. Maybe you lip pallet needed a cleansing before trying this?

I prefer Burts stuff yet. It was a good attempt, but not for me

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know where you can get this besides online?

9:29 PM  
Blogger glaciajo said...

"Product Plusses: All natural, petroleum-free, French, available with SPF-15." HaHAH..the French part cracked me up. That would definitely convince my Francophile mother to get this. I've seen goat milk soap, and I've had goat milk ice cream, but I'm curious about goat milk in lip balm..For me it's a plus because of SPF. Thanks.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


This Handcrafted Goat Milk Lip Balm is looking Nice. I like the organic product most. It is keeps my lip soft and smoooth.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home