Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Gator Gubba

The first thing I noticed about Gator Gubba is that it considers itself a "year-round lip balm". This made me think about all the other sticks I use and what seasons they are meant to be used in and if by using them year-round I was commiting some sort of chapstick crime.

The next thing I noticed is the cute picture of an alligator. A curly tailed alligator wearing suglasses with his tongue out and wiggling his fingers. I thought, "Hey, I usually don't like alligators or crocodiles because they always seem to be in pissy moods and eat cute animals, like hippos. But this one's cute and doesn't look pissy."

On with it.

Price: Around $2.00

Glide: An almost perfect glide. It's as if the happy gator himself is carefully applying the balm to my lips. The only glide issue is that, at times, it glides too well and leaves balm around my lips. This usually comes from me enjoying the smell and glide of the stick too much, and applying exuberantly. It's an amateur move, I should know better.

Flavor/ Smell: I was privvy to try out various flavors: cherry, orange-vanilla, and watermelon. I'm a huge fan of the orange-vanilla. The taste and smell reminds me of an Orange Julius, remember those? Yum. Cherry is also faboo. Very Kool-Aid. I've never been a fan of anything watermelon, so this stick was going to lose unless it didn't taste or smell anything like the fruit. But it did, and I didn't dig it.

Lasting Power: Hours and hours. Truly excellent.

Product Plusses: "Year-Round", PABA free, Aloe, Vitamin E, SPF 15 for the Cherry; and for the Herbal Orange Vanilla SPF 30, Aloe, Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Beeswax, Carrot Extract, and various natural oils

This stick is high quality and is one that I can rely on. It's been in my pocket when it's been over 100 degrees and it didn't melt.

4.90 out of 5 tubes


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sam, i knew you wrote this after reading the first two sentences. you should seriously consider a job in advertising. you'd be great at it. talk to augusten and see what he thinks.
love, guess who

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this one much better than that goats milk stuff you reviewed. Thanks for the lead and a great site.

I have a new favorite

10:16 PM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

Hooray! I'm glad you found one you like- like anything, lip balm preferences can be very subjective.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love Gator Gubba. I discovered it about 3 yrs ago and have made it my point to only buy these. It's so bad that a couple months ago I had ran out. I passed many many other lip balm, including chapstick, but though my lips were ashy and sore I refused to buy anything else. I had to go searching for a sally's beauty where I knew I could find it. I was so happy to see that display I bought a handful of those things. I'll never run out again. I have cherry in my night stand for bedtime, pineapple at my desk at work. I keep a watermelon in my coat pocket, and I have others stashed all over. I'm never too far from a stick of Gator Gubba.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I just got a free tube of Gator Gubba (go to their myspace page). It came within a week, and I love the stuff! Pinapple vanilla is really the best flavor/scent out of any lip balm.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading this, I went on ebay to look for chapsticks, and low and behold a seller was selling 4 Gator Gubba chapsticks for $4.00 w/ free shipping! Today I'm sitting here a happy chapstick camper, and all because of this review! Love it!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my go dim obsessed with Gator Gubba! It's the best I've experienced (I have never tried anything on ur ratings list above the GG but I'm thoroughly satisfied with it)

They used to give them out at the nurses office in college for free and I'd a few at the time, but senior year they got a new kind Chap Lip which sucks!....anyway now I have to search for where to get some 'cause I'm running out and I can't live without it! specially with this rough winter we are having!

Awesome blog!

Leo

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home