Thursday, November 16, 2006

Blistex Lip Infusion Moisture Splash

Do you find yourself loving lip balm but wishing it was as fun to apply as your favorite roll-on deodorant? Do you often find yourself rubbing keys and ball point pens across your face just for the feel of cool metal sliding over your lips?

Boy, are you in luck! After receiving millions upon millions of imploring letters, Blistex has FINALLY combined lip balm with the latest roll-on technology to bring us Lip Infusion Moisture Splash Lip Protectant/Sunscreen.

Finally [sobs with joy].

Now, I know what you're thinking: WTF? But before you pass judgment, let me take you a wonderful journey of discovery.


Price: $3 in store, $2+ various places online. Excellent price for the novelty of it.

Glide: I don't know where to start. It's certainly unlike any lip balm I've ever tried, probably because most lip balms don't use a giant metal ball (er...I mean "ultra smooth rolling tip") as their delivery mechanism. But this one does. Which adds to the appeal of it, I guess, but just turns out to be very strange.

First, the metal ball is cooold. Application doesn't feel "pleasant" as the package claims- it's more like how I would imagine aliens would try to put lip balm on you if you got abducted (sans anal probe). It's jarring and unnatural. Second, the liquid coats the ball bearing very quickly and thickly, and all that ends up on your lips whether you want it to or not. It also removes the need for pressing as you apply, which I rather enjoy. I like to feel like I've burned calories when I use lip balm.

Appearance: Excellently designed to the exact size and shape of a standard tube. Cap twists instead of snaps on, an ingenious decision given that caps often come off in your pocket or bag. I can't imagine what would happen if this thing's cap came off.

Flavor/Smell: It's supposed to smell/taste like vanilla (also comes in cherry), but with all the sweetener and artifical scents I really couldn't tell. It both tastes like and has the consistency of medicinal corn syrup. Bleeeecchhh.

Lasting Power: I guess it works okay. The sweet oiliness sits on the lips for quite some time without a great deal of absorption and feels more like lip gloss than balm. Doesn't last much longer than your basic Blistex. I think the point of the whole thing is that it's supposed to skip the wax part of lip balm and just deliver the oils, but it just doesn't work well.

Product Plusses: SPF 15. Something strange to show to all your friends.

Interesting "concept tube" that's just a bit too weird to use regularly and whose fragrance and taste aren't helping either. 2.5 out of 5 tubes

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww shucks. If I didn't abide by the ancient chapstick proverb of "Function over form", I'd totally rush out to buy this.

Ok - I lied. I know of no ancient chapstick proverb.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like, probably because you spend 18 hours a day slathering your face with all manner of moisturizers, you never have very dry lips, but this would be a wonderful product to try if you did. Somehow, the oils seem to penetrate in a way that the stick never would. If you ever find yourself with unusually dry lips, please do give this another try.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is by far the worst lip balm ever. I bought a tube for my sister as a joke and she was apalled after 5 days ;) it made her lips peel and crack and chapped

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess I only bought this stuff so that I'd be able to remove the metal ball when the tube was empty and play with it, but now I get the feeling I'll never get through this stuff! it's so shiny and wet.. feels like it's sliding off your lips. so maybe only put this on at night, 'cuz you just can't give up that amazing feeling of the metal. yummmm.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Ugolini said...

My mother was in a very bad chapped-lip situation recently and purchased a tube of this. It went down like this:

Me: Mom, this looks cool!
Mom: Mmmh...
Me: How is it?
Mom: Strange. Not good. I don't like it.
Me: Oh, the applicator is metal!
Mom: *grimaces*

8:44 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I agree this is not good. It left my lips drier than when I put it on. I did think it was kinda unique and different, but overall not good for my lips. Yuck-o!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really wish I had read this post first. Bought a tube, it did diddly-squat for my chapped lips, and THEN I read the post. Oh well, it's good to know I agree with your assessment. Now I know we'll probably agree on the good ratings as well. Off to the store!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, as a serious chapstick addict, I was sort of afraid to try this out after reading y'all's reviews on here... However, my curiosity overwhelmed me in HEB today, and I had to pick up a tube (along with some Softlips, just in case).

Okay, taste/smell-wise... I think it smells pretty good, and as for taste...well, it's not unpleasant, I don't wince every time I unconsciously lick my lips.

The feel: It feels pretty damn good, actually. Slippery, sort of like a gloss [looks like one too, on your lips] but not sticky at all. More liquid-y.

The tube itself: The tube is nicely designed, the usual size with a SCREW-ON cap [imagine that!]. I am already addicted to the amazing sensation of the cold ball [thing?]...maybe it's just me, I'm Texan and constantly surrounded by heat. o_e

Obviously, due to the consistency and non-waxy feel [true to its word], it's not going to have the staying power that ordinary chapstick has. However, I think I'll be getting this again. I kind of like the idea of a glossy chapstick. >_>

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate this crap! It seems like it is going to be great...the lip soother I have been waiting my whole life for. This garbage actually caused my lips to crack. My previously healthy bottom lip split right down the middle after I used this stuff. It was BLEEDING! I couldn't smile for a few days, because every time I smiled my lip would crack open again. THE WORST LIP PRODUCT EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD! Every time I walk by this product in a store or see a commercial for it I cringe.

11:34 PM  
Blogger April said...

I actually feel the oopposite- when I put it on, I LOOVED the cold feeling(but I'm almost always hot... BUT it was the middle of winter, so I really don't know). However, it pretty much dried on my lips in two minutes. Literally. SO not worth the money.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Maiwenn said...

Horrible, terrible product. Had it in my pocket when I went hiking in california. Ended up creating a hard layer on my lips which started to crack. Absolutely no moisturizing. Was so happy to throw it away.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i disagree.
I love the feeling of the metal ball thing. Then, you dont feel a layer of waxyness on youre lips which I don't like. At all.

Taste is meh and so is smell. It kinda tingles which is nice. :D

But thats it. As for effectiveness, it's just normal for me.

I just enjoy putting it on.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great product. I wish I could find it at more places.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this stuff. It is an almost instant cure for dry lips. After applying-2 or 3 minutes and your lips will be back to normal. It does NOT cause lips to be more chapped. It night wear off quicker thasn some others. It's certainly easier to lick off than chapstick. The benefits of this are much better than regular chapstick. I like to use it in conjunction with a beeswax stain.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is great for kids especially the ones thT "eat" the Chapstick

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home