Thursday, May 24, 2007

Guest Post: Chapstick® All Natural


Today's poster is Rachel, aka rayfreester, blogger and lip balmer extraordinaire. But we'll let her tell you about herself, as well as give you a review.


I'm rayfreester, of are you awake? (it's fairly new and not really about anything yet) and I have been a Burt's Bees user for maybe five or six years- I'm only in my mid-teens. Only this year have I really tried to branch out to other lip balms occasionally. This development happened to coincide with Walgreens expanding its lip balm selection and putting it into its own section. The geography of my Walgreens aside, the new shiny lip balm area had many balms that they didn't carry before like Aveeno, the entire Chapstick line, Chicken Poop and many others. But what caught my eye was Chapstick All Natural, since Chapstick® isn't famous for it's great ingredients.

Price: $1.99, just as cheap as regular flavored Chapstick. No complaints here, but you'd think it might cost a little more with the better ingredients.

Appearance: Brown translucent with some sparkle or or something in the plastic. The words "all natural" in green with a water droplet on it to signify that it moisturizes. Sort of a cross-between a lotion bottle and a self-tanner bottle. Might not be unisex enough for some men, but isn't trying for a feminine appearance. Still has the Chapstick rounded cap that makes it easy to find in the dark. I'm not a fan of translucent tubes- I don't like seeing the gears. However, the look is, in general, attractive.

Glide: Pretty good, glides smoother and sticks more than regular Chapstick, but not as good as lip balms with a higher beeswax content. There is a slight graininess as you get more into to the tube.

Flavor/Smell: No real intentional smell or flavor, just the the smells of the ingredients. It kinda smells like toasted coconut, rice milk and some type of nuts. There's no sweetener, so there is no taste, but the smell sticks around for a while and is bland without being unobtrusive. This balm could benefit from and essential oil.

Lasting Power: If your lips are pretty chapped it will soak right in and you will need to apply almost immediately, however with normal conditions it will last as long as you don't wipe it off or eat.

Product Pluses: No petroleum, no artificial ingredients, sunflower seed oil, jojoba esters, coconut oil, beeswax, mango seed butter (fancy!), natural vitamin E and shea butter. However no SPF and it won't withstand temperatures higher than 77 degrees (it says on the label, no other brands/types have this warning, as far as I know).

3.7 out 5 tubes for good glide with out being greasy, natural ingredients and low price. Points were docked for slightly pervasive coconut smell and sparkly tube. Overall though, a pretty good buy, I recommend it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

You should review Nano lip. I'm a beauty editor and had some sent to our office and the stuff is amazing!

12:33 PM  
Blogger rayfreester said...

Yes, it's up, on a blog that more than 3 people read.

1:18 PM  
Blogger K said...

I use this stuff mostly at night so my lips don't get chapped (mine tend toward near-constant chappedness), and I've found it to moisturize quite nicely. I'd use it more often but I haven't found it at the stores I usually go to. Obviously I have to look harder!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just me, but when I started using this chapstick, i think that it made my lips drier! I reverted back to my usual Aquaphor - which, i know, is not 100% natural, but I haven't found a chapstick, blam, whatever, that does a better job than this one!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I purchased this Chapstick many months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The tubing did not have any sparkles,green writing nor a water droplet, although I did purchase my tube in Canada. I live in a very dry climate and find that, with this chapstick, I need to apply it about 3-4 times per day. My lips tend to get chapped because of my climate and I find this chapstick soothing.

12:26 AM  
Blogger BubbaCoop said...

I don't believe there is any better Chap Stick than this. I bought about a dozen on ebay after they stopped making them. The 100% Natural is isn't the same formula as the All Natural. Maybe less coconut oil? Anyway, the smell and taste were much better with the original formula as reviewed here.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, not above 77 dgrees, eh?

"Oh no! 78 degrees! Quick! Somebody! Refrigerate my chapstick!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chapstick.

I'm a HUGE chapstick junkie, but it has to be original chapstick, flavored strawberry.

it's the shit.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

("Oh no! 78 degrees! Quick! Somebody! Refrigerate my chapstick!) HAHA THIS MADE ME LAUGHH HARD!

But all refrigeration of chapstick humor to the side, i love chapstick! My favorite is actually classic cherry! i cannot stand using other brands of chapstick (lip balm) or even other types of chapstick brand! i have had to deal with original type of chapstick and AHH! but i think that i will try the natural! :) i think someone should review cherry chapstick, actually!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home