Thursday, May 01, 2008

LypSyl Moisturizer Original Formula

Remember the reader who emailed us trying to figure out the identity of her label-less mystery balm? One of our intrepid readers discovered that it was LypSyl, a Swedish brand of lip balm that has recently undergone a face lift. I picked up a tube at my local CVS and tried to figure out if the Swedish hold the secret not only to great red candy fish but to lip balm as well.

Price: $2.99 in store, various prices online.

Appearance: Not gonna lie, I bought it because it looks weird. Slightly taller than a gluestick, it's a fat, flattened, elliptical-widthwise tube with a bee-shaped slider on the side instead of a twist ring. Whimsical. The site says something about "one-hand application on the go", and I must admit it is kind of handy not to have to twist anything to advance the tube. It seems like there's a lot of wasted space, however, because the balm only takes up about 70% of the casing. Maybe this isn't so with the thin tube or the pot.

Glide: When I first bought my tube it was really hard, but has apparently softened over time. Definitely performs better in warmer weather- it's like a brick in the winter. Once you warm it up it goes on pretty easily and without any stick, although it's hard to get used to the elliptical tube shape.

Flavor/Smell: The Original Formula has a strong yet pleasant mint scent and no sweetness. Other flavors include LypSyl Moisturizer HoneyBerry, LypMedication with Eucalyptus, LypRadiance Honeyrose, and LypSensitivity with Aloe Vera.

Lasting Power: Pretty darn good. It softens my lips very quickly and if I weren't my job to constantly reapply lip balm I might have forgotten to do it entirely.

Product Pluses/Minuses: Great mix of tried-and-true ingredients such as coconut oil, beeswax (Pure Swedish!), shea butter, and Vitamins A/E. Still petroleum-based, alas, but at least I can pronounce all the other ingredients.

Took me a while to warm up to LypSyl, but now I'm a fan. It's a reliable if idiosyncratic tube, so maybe the Swedish do know about more than just chefs. My theory is that they stole our bees. 4.5 out of 5 tubes.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...I admit - I had to buy this because you HAD to buy this. Thanks alot!!!: -) Actually like it. I especially like the shape of the tube & lipbalm - I turn it sideways & it covers alot more of my mouth in fewer swipes that a regular round lip balm does. The smell & texture reminds me of Burt's Bees orginal. This is a really close 2nd to that, I must admit. Good choice & glad I listened to you.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I can't find it at my local CVS, but then we live in a smaller city. I hope they may get it because it's cute and I have a lip balm issue and a lot of them.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Southern Angel said...

I just found this at my CVS today. I almost talked myself out of buying it because it doesn't have any sunscreen. But I do like it and I think it is soooo much better than Burt's Bees.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great stuff! I think it's better than Burt's Bees. I had a super smooth glide right out of the package. I like the refreshing minty scent and I think the little bee slider on the side is adorable. The only thing is that I wished there was more product in here. When you slide up the lip balm all the way out, you see that there is only about an inch of product. I found LypSyl at Walgreens.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the HoneyBerry formula, and it has SPF 15 sunscreen! :)

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also bought this product because it looked different...then I fell in love with it...and now I can't find it in the stores again...but....this product even had a great NAME....very clever to spell lips differently..

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little late commenting - This is not my beloved Lypsyl with the orange cap :( Totally different formula (the old one had nothing to do with beeswax, Swedish or not!!!) totally different smell, feel, size, etc. I am extremely disappointed and have loved Lypsyl for many many years :( It has also gone up drastically in price. I used to pick it up for 82cents at WalMart.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Diannnoeora said...

One of my pet peeves with every other lip balm is how the center part where the tube screws up gets full of disgusting ickiness. This one has no center hole, so it doesn't have that problem. Plus, it lasts well and feels good. Just got it for the first time a few days ago.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home