Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Crazy Rumors: Perk & Brew

You know when you run into something so delightful and unique that you wonder why no one ever told you about it even though it's been around for a while? That's how I felt when I stumbled across the Crazy Rumors site a few weeks ago. Where had this adorable hamlet of lip balm cuteness been hiding and how had it evaded all my previous Google trollings?!

Crazy Rumors is a Brooklyn based company started in 2002 by Brian Himmel and Edie Sherman, "a creative young couple, and best friends". They make their vegan-friendly balm in twelve coffee and tea inspired flavors like Hazelnut, Mocha, Ginger Peach and Spiced Chai. I got my hands on a few of these excellent balms and haven't let go since. In fact, if I were a US Representative and these lip balms were underage congressional pages, I'd be writing some pretty raunchy IMs to them (I'm here all week, folks).

Price: $4 a pop. But worth it, I think.

Glide: Truly, truly creamy. The glide is thick, silky and luxurious, not unlike an oversized comforter in the middle of winter.

Appearance: I'm sorry to gush, but everything about Crazy Rumors is ADORABLE. The whole package- the site, the tubes, their cards, their brochures- is immaculately executed and full of fun and energy. Their presentation makes me want to cry, it's so good. And each clear tube (you know how I love clear) is marked either "Perk" or "Brew" on the label and has its own coordinated color scheme and wonderful fonts. Simply delightful.

Flavor/Smell: The balms come in twelve varieties. I tried two of the Perk (French Vanilla and Amaretto) and two of the Brew (Peppermint Lemongrass and Orange Bergamot). All were fabulous. Light, refreshing and addictively great smelling. Whether you like coffee or prefer tea, you'll find a flavor that just floors you. For me it's the Peppermint Lemongrass, which is like a tropical vacation with a slight tingle. The balms are naturally flavored and slightly sweet thanks to stevia, a sweet herb. I often dislike sweetness in balms, but here I found the natural sweetner to be subtle and very complimentary to the flavors. In short, yum.

Lasting Power: We recently got a comment about why we "calculate" lasting power. I don't think we calculate so much as guesstimate, and we do so because it's important how long an application lasts. You don't want to be stuck with a stick you have to use every ten minutes. Most sticks do the job well enough, but some are either poor performers or real troopers. These balms are definitely the latter, lasting for hours and retaining their wonderful scents almost as long. I think the only reason I do reapply is because I love the way the smell and taste so much.

Product Plusses: 100% natural vegan-friendly ingredients (shea butter; soy wax; avocado, grape seed, olive and ojoba oils, to name a few), cruelty-free, freakin' cute.

My goal is to buy all twelve flavors and make a special belt so I can wear them around my waist at all times like a holster. Hold on to your hats, people:

5 out of 5 tubes!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's the thing java...foley is a us representive...not a senator ...but your sentiment is well taken.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, 5 out of 5 tubes! How often does that happeN??

2:31 AM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

See, you rush these things and you miss the details. Representative, not senator- duh. Duly noted. Thanks.

10:40 AM  
Blogger The App Goddess said...

You are bananas!! I love their site too.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Alexis said...

I love this site! I am a makeup artist, and don't have ENOUGH lip balm ever - I currently keep a Body Shop Pumpkin ( I LOVE Halloween!) balm in my kit to mix with lipstick for when I make up men for TV etc. Keep writing! I just want to try everything! x

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your review and was really convinced to try and order this balm online, so I did on Friday, and it arrived today. I must say, this really is the balm to end all balms. I got the Brew one in Apple Spice, and I love the smell, the glide...everything. I've had really bad experiences with vegan lip balms, so I was a bit wary, but this one has me convinced. My only complaint is that I wasn't really used to the staying power, but I think I can get used to that.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(cries) I just bought Hazelnut, Mocha and Orange bergamot, and they all have some kind of unpleasant aftersmell that spoiled the main flavor! The Orange begamot one is particularly horrid! I chose this flavor because Earl Grey is my favorite tea, but this is nothing like Earl Grey, the spicy smell is aggressie and offensive! Also the glide is too thick for my liking :(

3:09 AM  
Blogger Money Hangry (Hungry+Angry) said...

I found your website about 3 days ago and have read every review in your archive. Urban Outfitters at the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica currently has a sale on the Crazy Rumor chapsticks. They originally sell for $12.99 for a box of 3 but now it's $6.99. Not too bad. I bought all the Tea Brew flavors, they are really nice.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I should send you a fruit basket for introducing me to Crazy Rumor. I won't because I'm cheap, but I'm hoping you believe that it truly is the thought that counts.

9:12 PM  
Blogger LJ Grace said...

I want to buy/try some. where can I buy it in LA?

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought the brew set that they offer on their site (orange bergamot, peppermint lemongrass, and spiced chai) I have to say that I don't really care for the scents at all. To me it has a fake perfumery scent to it that leaves a weird aftertaste when I breathe in. I can't stand the chai scent when it's on my lips...the other two are tolerable. I guess I was expecting them to smell similar to the teas I drink.

Although I really don't like the smell, the balm it's self worked really well for me. I usually have super dry lips...this balm smoothed out my lips within a day...my lips feel great now. But I'm not sure if I'll buy it again.

btw...I really love this blog!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home