Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Sarah's Garden: Lavender & Natural

Sarah's Garden produces homemade organic lip balm in 4 tasty varieties: lavender, spearmint, pepperment, and natural. During the last week I spent lots of quality time with the lavender and the natural. And I'm going to tell you all about them.

Price: $5.50 per tube

Glide: Sweet glide, slides smoothly along the lips.

Appearance: Standard stick with a label that makes me think of meadows and ivy, which is a nice little getaway when you're surrounded by skyscrapers. Light purple for the lavender flavor (obvs) and yellow for the natural.

Flavor/ Smell:
This was the first lavender balm that I've tried. I was concerned that it might smell like Febreze or some sort of household cleaner, but it didn't. It smells exactly like the lavender growing in my tiny fire escape garden. A wonderful clean smell. The ladies of Sarah's Garden call it "light and relaxing" and they're spot on.

As for the natural; Sarah's Garden describes this stick as "rich, earthy, and fragrant". I wholeheartedly agree with the rich and earthy description, the balm coats well and the fact that it's natural makes it earthy. But I have to disagree with "fragrant". I've become a huge fan of this stick due to it's lack of fragrance - it's the most unobtrusive balm I've encountered.

Lasting Power: Hours, and with the simplicity of the natural balm there's no desire to reapply constantly due to flavor and/or smell. In fact, there have been times when I've completely forgotten about chapstick: no dry lips, no weird smells, nothing.

Product Plusses: All natural, hand poured, created in small batches, and each stick has it's own list of organic ingredients.

An ideal tube for anyone, check this one out.

4.50 out of 5 tubes

I also really like the "about us" section of their website:
We encourage our customers to ask questions and to investigate the contents of the products currently used in their homes. Do you know what the ingredients are? Are they as safe as they are effective? How about for prolonged use or after repeated exposure? Are the products in your home safe for babies and children to ingest, inhale or apply to the skin?
This may seem like common sense, but in reality, how often do you question the products you use?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tried these lip balms and they are far better than any other lip balms I have used.
Thank you.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a swedish chapstick/lip balm called "hudsalvas forsvarets."
it is sold only in sweden though. so i'm not quite sure how you'd acquire it, but I've heard great reviews. i'm curious to see your opinion.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home