Friday, March 09, 2007

Guest Post! Alba Botanica: Coconut Cream

Hey, homeys. As much as I'm dying to leave LL Cool J front and center, we must move on.

Today's guest poster is Lindsey, from New York. She writes, "I'm a makeup artist & aspiring writer, as well as an advocate for animal rights. I've been a lip balm addict since I was old enough to steal the tubes of Chapstick out of my grandmother's purse. She always had every flavor, and I was fascinated. Growing up I was a big Lip Smackers whore. I think I must have had every flavor. Now I'm a big fan of Softlips & My Lip Stuff. But I just discovered a new favorite, so I want to spread the word!"

And now a review of a tube by Alba (makers of Unpetroleum and TerraTints). Aprez vous, Lindsey.

Price: $3.49 at Whole Foods, healthfood stores & various online retailers.

Appearance: Colorful green and yellow twist-up tube. These balms have a Hawaiian theme, which the packaging reflects.

Glide: Perfect. Very creamy. Not too waxy or too oily, just nice.

Flavor/Smell: Coconut Cream. It definitely smells how you'd expect. Light, not fake or cloying. It doesn't have that weird plasticy aftertaste like some other balms. It also comes in "Pineapple Quench" & "Passion Fruit Nectar".

Lasting Power: It seems to last forever! I can even put it on before bed and my lips are still moist in the morning. It sinks in very well without "evaporating".

Product Plusses: Completely natural. And not phoney "natural", but actually filled with good-for-you ingredients with no filler. Alba is one of the best little niche brands on the market. Everything they make is pretty amazing.

5 out of 5 tubes, because I'd be hard-pressed to find a better lip balm all-around. I'll keep buying this for as long as Alba keeps making it, it's definitely "holy grail" material.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy grail indeed! I bought a handful of the Alba balms (mmm, passion fruit) and they've totally saved my lips. Formerly chapped and flaky and well.. gross, my lips are now smoooth and soft and lovely. Huzzah for Alba!
I also got a tube of the Terra Tints, which has fast replaced lipstick in my life.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to admit, this is my absolute favorite and i can consider myself an addict and have tried many, oh lord- many chapsticks.
the only downer to this i found though, was that it melted in my pocket and i had to throw out a stick of this because it because reallllllly greasy.
but other than that, i totally agree... 5/5 :]

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this stick for the first few uses. It's heavenly. Then it becomes very grainy, like a sugar scrub. Maybe because the weather here is so cold or something? I don't get it. I think it got better when I put it in my pocket.

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This stuff is fantastic! I love both the coconut cream and passionfruit nectar, but I have yet to see pineapple quench in stores. Anyways, this stuff is creamy, and lasts almost NINE hours, (I know because every night I put it on before bed and my lips are still moisturized in the morning) It smells fantabulous, and best of all, and perhaps most importantly, it makes your lips smooth and velvety soft. Yay Alba! I seriously hope they make this stuff for as long as I live. If you see this anywhere, BUY IT! It is totally worth it, your lips will thank you.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely have a problem with this stick crystallizing after several uses.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just bought 2 five packs from ebay. One of the Pineapple Quench and one of the Coconut Cream. Each 5 pack was $6 with free shipping. I'm a musician and cannot wait to see if Alba can conquer my cracked horn lips.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This stuff is great! Picked it up waiting in line to check out at Vitamin Cottage. The Pineapple Quench is the best smelling chapstick I have ever smelled. LOL! Its so funny because people ask what purfume I am wearing and I tell them that its my lip balm! Great stuff!!!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought this balm recently and I have mixed feelings about it. While it is a good alternative for those who want an "organic" lip balm, it is not the best for your lips. Certainly not deserving of 5 stars. One thing that sets this apart from others in the market is it goes on lightly, with no waxy or heavy feel. However, it has a sticky feel to it and does not have the soothing properties other balms have. Because of that, it can feel like your lips are burning after a time. It also lacks antimicrobials for those who are curious. I would give it a 3.5 and recommend it for those who want something all-natural for their lips.

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It got a bit grainy after about 2 and a half weeks. Despite keeping it in my pocket, it still lost a bit of the smooth glide it used to have when it was new. I'm not sure if I am simply used to the smell or what, but it seems to smell a little bit different too. Smells more waxy now. I have the habit of constantly reapplying lip balm, and this one is good with just one swipe. Overapplying just puts a thick layer of balm on your lips that sometimes ends up in your mouth.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried the Pineapple Quench last week after picking up Alba's Hawaiian Pineapple Enzyme Facial Cleanser, Facial toner and moisture cream(I love them all). At first I was thrilled by the smell and how easily the lip balm went on, but after a few day's use, my lips were burnt! I have scabs on my top lip now, I'm not sure if I'm allergic to something in the ingredients or what, but I'm sad to say that I'm quite displeased with the results.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I <3 COCONUT CREAM! IT'S SOOO GOOD! GO AND GET SOME RIGHT NOW IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GREAT CHAPSTICK BECAUSE THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST! :*

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, at first it was great but now the glide is pretty gritty after about a month of use, have to go get more!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home