Monday, December 04, 2006

Whatchamacallit

I hadn't realized that there were other names for lip balm besides lip balm and chapstick (genericized). Maybe some variation of "tube", but that's it, right? Apparently not. Blogger Jess from the Great White North reports that apparently some people (or maybe just some Canadians) refer to lip balm as "lip chap", which Jess is none too happy with:

It’s chap stick, or lip balm or even just lip stuff. ‘Lip chap’ sounds gross and just plain trashy. It always reminds me of white trash girls with spiral perms in their peroxide blonde hair wearing halter tops over bras with straps. First off, it sounds like an oral STD (“Dude, what’s up with your mouth?”, “Oh, I caught ‘lip chap’ from that skank from last weekend”). Second, if you think about what the word ‘chap’ means it is also nonsensical and grammatically incorrect. Saying “hey, can I have some of your lip chap” is like saying “hey, can I have a bit of your flakey, scaly lips”.

There are right ways and wrong ways to say things, and ‘lip chap’ is just f-ing wrong. Wrong and gross.

Hear, hear.

What do you call it?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived in Canada all my life and I've never heard anyone refer to lip gloss or chapstick as "lip chap", so maybe we can cut out the "Canadian" generalization, haha

And also, the girl who wrote that sounds like she has issues, lol
Myabe it's because she lives up North and getts bitter cold?

I think whatever you want to call it is fine, we all love the stuff, who cares? :)

1:51 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

When my husband wants a hit, he says, "You got any lip goo?"

"Lip chap" sounds like something a small, confused child once said, and the family thought it was cute and they all started saying it.

8:38 AM  
Blogger JavaJive said...

Anon- Apologies for the Canada generalization. It's true- Jess does sound a little too peeved about the topic. Maybe she has bad lip balm-related memories or something.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call it lip chap :(

(Or Blistex. Or Chapstick)

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i call it chapbalm lip chap, as do my friends.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home