Monday, October 16, 2006

Urban Legend: Carmex Myth


While I was doing some investigative reporting on chapstick on the world wide web I came across an urban legend featuring Carmex on Snopes.

Apparently there was a rumor running rampant in the lip balm community that Carmex was addictive due to having ground up glass as an ingredient. Now, when someone offers you this bit of gossip don't you have to ask "what makes ground up glass addictive?" Although this question is never answered, we do found out that despite vague claims against adding addictive qualities,

Paul Woebling, spokesman for Carma Labs, producer of Carmex, said letters from users, worried about addiction, are common. "We tell them we're in full compliance with the Food and Drug Administration," he said,

so the balm is perfectly safe.

Dip on!

Addendum: My partner is balm has alerted me to the official Carmex response to their addiction accusations. Myth number 5 has won my heart, doesn't everything cause cancer?:

MYTH: Carmex causes cancer.
If there were any truth to this rumor, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration would require us to discontinue the manufacture of Carmex.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to get heavy-handed, but I don't agree with that statement at all. There are plenty of substances on the American market that have been tested and proven to be dangerous for our health. Many have even been banned in other countries, but still continue to garner the FDA's approval. I'm not all that sure consumer safety is their priority, and would not recommend relying on their standards as a substitute for educating oneself about health-related issues.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, I'd say.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have used Carmex since the 6th grade, about 20 years now. It is addictive, not like chapstick. When I used to use chapstick I could either use it or not use it, take it or leave it. I cannot live without my Carmex. It has to be by my bed so I can use it first thing in the morning. If I can't find it nothing else can happen in my life until I find it. I've been known to have to make a run to the store because I've lost my carmex. It is always on my person. I apply it about once every 2 hours and if for some reason I can't get to it my lips start to feel extremely dry and uncomfortable to the point of driving me to distraction. You be the judge, am I addicted? I started using because I had horrendous cold sores. I don't often have them anymore which I attribute to the carmex. This is another reiforcing agent for my addiction, because I definatly don't want the cold sore outbreaks I used to get as a kid. So now after 20 years of using I have some stange white spots on my tongue, could it be cancer? I don't smoke, rarely drink alcohol, don't like coffee. My dietary weaknesses are tea and gum. Does tea or gum cause these white spots? Well I'll be getting these spots checked out soon, but meanwhile I just have to wonder about the long term effects of carmex especially if testing was not done on animals. Maybe I was unknowingly a test subject.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use carmex everyday. Well, It makes my lips dry at times so I keep using it. What should I do? What lip balm should I use? HELP ME 

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well thank god we cleared this up. I know we can completely trust what any company says about their product.....wait....what the fuck did I just say? lol Do a little bit more research buddy.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home